Thursday 9 October 2014

Travel Talk on Twitter #TTOT

I have long since been an advocate of Twitter. I joined Facebook very early on in 2006, and find it a great way of keeping up with family and friends, but Twitter is something more. It's a global community; a network of people, places and stories, and I just can't get enough.

Twitter is a place where celebrities and nobodies; journalists, artists, authors and everybody in-between, hang out side-by-side, almost equals (if you disregard follower numbers). It's become a place where you can (attempt to) speak to your favourite pop star, comedian or TV star; THE place to get live news updates, literally as and when they happen, and a place to meet and talk to like-minded people.

One of my favourite times of the week is a Tuesday evening, around 9.30pm GMT (also at 9.30am, but I'm hard at work at that point ;)). Hosted by several Twitter and Travel fanatics, there's a set 5 questions based on a theme every week, that are then posed to the travel community on Twitter.

Twitter Logo
www.twitter.com
And what a community it is. There are some regulars, and there are those who happen upon it every so often, but each week it's a fascinating mixture of travel stories from around the planet. It's basically like being in a room with lots of other people who are just as interested in travel as you, and exchanging tips, horror stories and ideas.

It's a fantastic way to meet new people, get new travel ideas, and get lots of new travel blogs to have a nosy at! Everyone is interested in everyone else; no-one is there to (outwardly) promote themselves - everyone is just having a great time reading what everyone else is sharing.

Just to give you an idea, here are the questions from the last my favourite #ttot topic - Mountains! (16th September 2014)

Q1: Which mountain adventure is on your bucket list?
A1: Wow! What isn't?! I have to say Everest Base Camp because I've been dreaming about it for so long (booking my flights in two weeks, argh!) and it is, but there are so many more! In no particular order, Kinabalu, Island Peak, Kilimanjaro (again), Annapurna Base Camp, trekking in the Alps, Toubkal, lots of trekking in Nepal, Mount Kenya, the Rockies... the list goes on! Some part of me dares to dream of Aconcagua, but that's a long, long way in the future yet.

Q2: What was your most dangerous climb and why?
A2: It has to be Kilimanjaro, just because it's the highest I've ever been. Altitude sickness was a real killer for me, and I was very lucky not to be more seriously ill.

Q3: Describe a time and place where a mountain inspired you. 
A3: Wow, mountains inspire me all the time. Physically, again it has to be Kili. Otherwise, Everest has inspired me for a long time. Something about it caught my imagination, and it has been the sole focus of my travel plans to see for a good few years now. About to be a dream come true in May! Something about its history, both dark and happy, its spirituality, and its beauty draws me to it.

Q4: What is the most important piece of advice you can give to someone going hiking in the mountains?
A4: Hmm, just one? Be prepared, and be determined. Sheer stubbornness and determination got me to the summit of Kilimanjaro, so it's something you'll need reserves of. Also, appreciate where you are. Don't just focus on the summit - enjoy the climb!

Q5: Show us a picture of your favourite mountain adventure.
A5: Just one?! ;) Have some pictures of Kili!

Camp on Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro

Uhuru Peak Kilimanjaro

It's fun re-living your own travels, but even better to see what other people have been up to! Give it a try - join the travel community on Twitter on Tuesdays at 9.30(am and pm) with the #ttot - I'll definitely see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment