Wednesday 17 September 2014

My time as an ICS Volunteer

I spent some time as an ICS volunteer, spending three months in Mali in 2011. Back then, it was a very new scheme (I was part of the second cohort of volunteers), but it's now developed and has achieved some incredibly positive things worldwide.

International Volunteers Day in Mali
International Volunteers Day
Those of you who know me will know that I'm hardly David Cameron's biggest fan, but this was his idea, and a very good one at that. The aim of the scheme is to send young people out into the world, to experience life working abroad, and to give them a chance to join in the fight against global poverty.

I've always wanted to work for a charity, and if I could go back again I'd study International Development at University, so this scheme was perfect for me. There are lots of different aid organisations who work together as part of ICS (Restless Development, VSO and Progressio are just some of them), and I worked for International Service, who are based in York, where I went to University. I heard of the scheme in a 'Charity and Third Sector' career talk in my third year, and knew straight away that I had to apply.

The scheme is funded by DfID (Department for International Development), and although volunteers are encouraged to fundraise a small amount of money themselves, everything else is included in the programme. This was very important for me - I'd always wanted to do something like this, but could never have afforded to fund it myself, so it gave me an amazing opportunity that I wouldn't otherwise have had.

I applied as soon as I could, and was invited for an interview with several other people around my age. The scheme is open to 18-25 year olds, and I'd encourage anyone to apply! Had I known at the time that it was several different organisations, I may have applied through another, not because I don't think International Service are amazing (they are) but because others have slightly more range of countries to choose from.

Goat on a bus, Mali
Goat on a Sotrama!

I was still spoiled for choice however, and could state a preference of either Palestine, Bolivia, Mali or Burkina Faso. I originally wanted to go to Bolivia (I've always wanted to see the Salt Flats) but when I was accepted onto the programme I'd been allocated Mali (because I spoke some French and I'd been to Africa before), and I certainly wasn't complaining!

Cows in Mali


The scheme includes a couple of days of training before you depart (mine was in London, and they reimbursed me for all travel costs) which is great. It gives you some idea of what you're letting yourself in for, as well as giving you a chance to meet the people you'll be travelling with before you go!

I was to be in Mali for around 3 months, from September through to December, and in that time all airfares, accommodation etc. would be provided, and I'd also get a small allowance each week for food. If I wanted to travel or buy souvenirs etc., I had to bring my own money (which of course is to be expected - they're not necessities!) but basically I had everything I needed!

There were 10 of us volunteers headed to Mali altogether - some of us had met at the training weekend, and others had gone to a different one, and we were certainly a mixed bunch. Fortunately, people doing this kind of thing all tend to be of the same mindset however, and we all got along relatively well (a few tiffs along the way are to be expected in three months!). We were split into two different teams, and each had a team leader who had already been in Mali for a week or two by the time we arrived.

International Service work with local NGOs in the countries they work in, to ensure the work they do is both ethical and sustainable, so we were based in the main IS office, but each team was working with a different NGO. Our team was working with AJA (Association Jeunesse Action), an organisation which aimed to reduce unemployment in Mali through microfinance and entrepreneurship. The other team was to work in a school for children with special needs - Amaldeme.

Artisans in Bamako, Mali
Artisans hard at work making bags
Anyone who's ever been to Africa will know that it works differently there to the UK - time is different, attitudes are different and the way of life is different! TIA! (This Is Africa!) One of the most important things the scheme taught me was to be flexible in the way I worked; we expected everything to be done to a timetable, and allowed ourselves to become frustrated when things didn't happen as we liked, but we learned to accept this over the course of the three months, and to adapt to the Malian way of doing things. You can read more about my day to day life in Mali here.

We worked with a group of artisans who were struggling to sell their crafts. Mali is one of the poorest countries in the world, and apart from a group of volunteers, ex-pats and missionaries, there are very few tourists there. In the whole three months that we were in Mali, there were just 19 Brits in the whole country, and we constituted 10 of them! This means that the artisans struggled to make a living, so we endeavoured to help them market their products. We interviewed them, created a catalogue (both in French and English), set up a social media page for the gallery, and even leafleted and put posters up in the wealthy ex-pat area of Bamako.

We achieved a small amount of success, despite difficulties (few of us in the team spoke enough French to interview the artisans in great detail, and we were very low on the priority list for AJA, meaning we often didn't get access to resources we'd paid for, such as the car). The gallery increased quite significantly in revenue, and we managed to create a few networking opportunities with craft markets in the UK by the time we left.

Artisan loom Mali
Artisan working on a loom
Unfortunately, whilst we were in-country, the political situation was deteriorating; Colonel Gadaffi was killed while we were there (he had a lot of support in Mali), and French hostages were being taken in the increasingly dangerous north of the country. We were banned from going into town on several occasions because it was too dangerous for a white person to be seen during protests, and the next cohort after ours was evacuated from the country when the military coup d'etat took place. This meant that International Service stopped operating in Mali for a while, as it was too dangerous, and all of our work was lost in the chaos.

  I still feel that ICS is the best thing I've ever done however. As we were the second cohort, there were a few teething problems that I believe have now been ironed out (team leaders are now there much longer, and language has become more of a requirement for example), but nothing that impacted upon my stay. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been given such an amazing opportunity, and it's definitely added a huge amount to my CV. I really felt like I was living in the community and giving something back to the country, which I hadn't felt when I volunteered before.

Baguineda, Mali
Baguineda

Bamako, Mali

There's a real sense of community within ICS, and it's such an amazing opportunity that I think everyone should experience! Don't expect it to be easy - you're out there to work and are expected to do so - but you have the opportunity to experience and achieve such a lot! I travelled, ate weird things, celebrated local festivals, and basically had an amazing three months! It's given me so many skills I use on a daily basis, and I really feel I have an increased understanding of International Development, which is something I'd like to look into further. I'm considering applying to be a team leader at some point in the future, as I'd love to develop the skills I gained through ICS.

It's something I'd recommend to anyone, and I'm glad the scheme is developing and growing bigger in the way it deserves to. International Service is now operating in Mali again, and although ICS volunteers are currently situated in Ghana, I hope that one day they return to Mali - there's such a potential to achieve there!

Eid al-Adhar in Mali
ICS Volunteers celebrating Eid al-Adhar

Children in Mali
Children at a local project

Ghana embassy in Mali
Embassy of Ghana

No comments:

Post a Comment